The Internet of Things (IoT) is having a significant impact on operational technologies (OTs) and in the way IT operations must monitor them. IT operations leaders need to adapt skill sets, processes and tools to monitor IoT availability and performance in order to support business initiatives.
Impacts and Recommendations
- IT operations lacks the resources to monitor OT that is augmented by or designed around the IoT
- IT operations lacks effective processes to react to the wealth of monitoring data that is generated by IoT devices
- In relation to IT operations, the IoT introduces technological and behavioral shifts that existing IM tools are not well-suited to support
- Scalability to Handle Greater Numbers of IoT Elements
- Granularity to Process Bursty Data
- Extensibility to Support Evolving Endpoint Interface Standards
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.