To be truly digital, banks must pair an emphasis on customer-facing capabilities with investment in the technical, architectural, analytic and organizational foundations that enable participation in the financial services ecosystem.
Hype Cycle for Digital Banking Transformation, 2015
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Programmable Business Model for Banking
- Smart Contracts
- Business Ecosystem Modeling
- Digital Wallet Consumer Hub
- IoT for Banking
- Digital Payment Advisor
- Open Bank Systems
- Geolocation Products and Services
- Public Cloud for Core Banking
- Digital Personal Financial Advisor
- Blockchain/Distributed Ledgers
- Mobile Imaging for Bank Staff
- Open-Source Banking Systems
- Wearable Banking Apps
- Advanced Analytics
- At the Peak
- Biometric Mobile Banking Authentication
- Mobile Imaging for Bank Customers
- Open Unified Digital Banking Solutions
- Hybrid Cloud
- Open Banking
- Public Cloud
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Logical Data Warehouse
- Remote Commerce Emulation Payment Systems
- In-Branch and ATM Video
- Cloud-Driven Business and IT Services
- Social Messaging App Wallet
- Tablet Apps
- Digital Wallets
- Big Data Management
- BIAN Standards
- Intelligent Bank Operations
- Private Cloud Computing
- Mobile-Originated Proximity Payment Systems
- Near-Real-Time Low-Value Payment Systems
- Climbing the Slope
- Mobile-Originated P2P Payment Solutions (for Mature Payment Markets)
- Smartphone Banking
- Mobile Wireless Payment Systems (for Nonmature Payment Markets)
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.