Life science manufacturers face a rapidly changing landscape in 2016. Supply chain leaders must pursue customer-beneficial cost optimization, collaborate with healthcare providers to ensure alignment to outcomes and re-evaluate the supply chain approach to new product introduction.
Impacts and Recommendations
- Life science manufacturers' pursuit of revenue growth through increased volume and pricing is potentially at odds with healthcare providers having their profitability increasingly tied to their success in managing overall patient outcomes
- Increasing focus on outcomes and intensifying consumer expectations requires life science manufacturers to collaborate with healthcare providers, wholesalers, distributors and retailers to create a better experience for patients
- Pressure to quickly introduce new products and demonstrate positive patient outcomes requires a different response by chief supply chain officers in life science companies to improve product life cycle management
- A New Life for Products With Generic Competition
- Resurgence in Clinical Trials for 510(k) Medical Devices
- New Product Introduction Is Getting Faster Despite Increased Regulatory Burdens
- The convergence of digital and physical supply chains and the data economy prompts supply chain leaders to embrace new business opportunities and the internal efficiencies they enable
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.