Gartner has advised hundreds of organizations on IT cost optimization during the past several years. Here, we highlight 10 ideas we most frequently recommend to CIOs and IT leaders.
The Gartner Top 10 Recommended IT Cost Optimization Ideas, 2016
- Key Findings
- No. 1: Create a Shared-Service Organization for Some or All IT Services
- No. 2: Centralize, Consolidate, Modernize, Integrate and Standardize Technologies
- No. 3: Leverage Cloud Services
- No. 4: Increase IT Financial Transparency to Better Manage Both Supply and Demand
- No. 5: Utilize Zero-Based Budgeting on the Right Cost Categories
- No. 6: Rationalize and Standardize Applications
- No. 7: Optimize Software Licensing Management and ITAM Capabilities
- No. 8: Improve Procurement and Sourcing Capabilities
- No. 9: Invest in Mode 2 Capabilities Such as Agile and DevOps
- No. 10: Re-examine How End-User Computing Is Delivered
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.