Moving document and records management into the cloud is not an all-or-nothing proposition. Content and capability can be split between the enterprise data center and a hosted environment to create a hybrid solution while still providing a cost-effective and secure ECM environment.
- Bimodal Content Management
- The System of Record
- The System of Engagement
- Hybrid ECM
- What Goes Where?
- Cloud Content Characteristics
- On-Premises Content Characteristics
- Sorting It All Out
- Hybrid Architecture Options
- On-Premises ECM — Cloud Enterprise File Synchronization and Sharing
- On-Premises ECM — Cloud Archiving
- On-Premises Thick ECM — Cloud-Based Thin ECM
- Hybrid Content Network
- The Hybrid ECM Roadmap
- Bridging Components
- Identity and Access Management
- Connectors and APIs
- Shepherding Metadata
- Hybrid and Federated Search
- Focus on Identity and Access Management First
- Define a Basic Metadata Framework
- Keep the System of Record On-Premises
- Don't Migrate Legacy Content
- Establish or Revitalize ECM Governance
Feedback on This Document
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.