Switching to Microsoft SharePoint in the cloud from an on-premises deployment is a lot more complicated — and potentially more costly — than you might expect. Four best practices will help cloud office leaders make the most of this "last migration," especially in support of the digital workplace.
- 1. Create a Strategic Plan for Migrating to SharePoint Online
- Customization, Cost and Value
- Risk, Disruption and Reward
- Nontechnical Obstacles to Embracing Cloud SharePoint Online
- 2. Create a Thorough Migration Plan With IT and Business Stakeholders
- 3. Develop a Realistic, Comprehensive Estimate of Migration Costs
- Custom and Third-Party Applications
- Content Cleanup
- Hybrid Deployment
- 4. Leverage Qualified Service Partners for the Skills and Experience Needed for Migrating to SharePoint Online
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.