Oracle's often intransigent commercial position and complex licensing policies challenge customers attempting to negotiate optimized deals. Gartner's T4 process exposes unique complexities to assist technology procurement leaders in analyzing proposals and negotiating optimal pricing and T&Cs.
- Tactics — Create Competition With Viable Alternatives, and Where Needed, Utilize Outside Experts to Identify and Cost Competitors' Solutions That Would Compete With and Threaten Oracle's Revenue Stream
- Templates — Use Gartner's Oracle-Specific Template to Uncover Missing Options or Ambiguous Terms to Enable an Accurate Financial Analysis That Should Be Reviewed by All Relevant Stakeholders
- Key Terminology and Options for Oracle License and Solution Offerings That Customers Should Review
- Terms and Conditions — Try to Negotiate Key Protections Related to Price Holds, Territory of Use and License Assignment, and Review Oracle Policy Documents Relating to Partitioning/Virtualization, Disaster Recovery, Support and Maintenance, Testing, Development and Multiplexing to Ensure Appropriate Risk Mitigation
- Timing — Develop a Negotiation Strategy Based on Team Collaboration That Involves CxO-Level Engagement to Help Strategically Time and Finalize Negotiations to Align With Oracle Quarter-End and Fiscal Year-End Dates
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.