Password management technologies are a staple of mature identity and access management portfolios, but many older deployments are struggling under the pressure of new use cases. We explore how to future-proof PM environments by designing effective solutions that are simple to use, yet secure.
- Password Management Overview
- Password Management Taxonomy
- Password Management Features and Business Benefits
- Password Management Architecture
- Market Conditions Driving Innovation
- Cloud and Mobile
- The Question and Answer Conundrum
- Low User Enrollment and Adoption
- Distributed Workforce and Disconnected Users
- Password Sprawl
- The Facilitated Password Reset
- Features of the Next-Generation PM Tool
- Support for Strong, Multifactor Authentication
- Access Anywhere, Anytime
- Cloud and Cross-Platform Support
- Cloud-Hosted PM
- Managed Enrollment
- Improved Administration, Monitoring and Auditing
- Technical Challenges
- Cached Credentials
- Full Disk Encryption
- Password Policy Complexity
- Start With Sound Password Policies and Practices
- Automate User Enrollment in SSPR
- Q&A is Not Enough! Capitalize on the Mobile Device for Stronger Authentication
- Incorporate Strong Authentication and Audit Into the Facilitated Reset
- Synch With Care
- Build a Cross-Platform Strategy
- Focus on the End User
- Create a Strategy for Remote and Disconnected Users
- Secure the PM Environment
- Integrate SSO and PM
- Deploy PM to Gain a Quick Win for Your IGA Deployment
- Kill the Password
- Password Policy Enforcement
- Self-Service Password Reset
- Access Points
- Password Reset
- Password Synchronization
- Administration and Management Tools
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.