IT security leaders can improve targeted attack detection capabilities using their security information and event management tools, but it requires investments in expertise, processes and complementary technologies.
- Focus on People
- Invest in the Resources Needed to Use and Run an SIEM
- Use an SIEM to Monitor Privileged Users and User Activity
- Monitor Changes to Identity and Access Policies
- Processes Are Needed to Provide Context
- Classify Assets
- Integrate Vulnerability Management Information
- Include User Identity/Role Context
- Use Complementary, "Lean Forward" Security Technologies
- Behavior Analytics
- Advanced Threat Detection Tools (NTA, Payload Analysis, EDR)
- Application and Database Activity Monitoring
- Threat Intelligence Platforms and Services
- Incident Response and Automation
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.