This update of the Gartner enterprise electronic health record generation model reflects changes in market demands and expanded technology possibilities. CIOs and CMIOs should use this model to help compare EHRs.
- Generation Model Background
- Defining an Enterprise EHR System
- The Core Capabilities of an EHR System
- EHR System Management
- Clinical Workflow
- Clinical Decision Support
- Clinical Documentation
- Clinical Display
- CPOE and Order Management
- Generations of Enterprise EHRs
- Refining the Enterprise EHR Generation Model
- Gartner's Enterprise EHR Generation Model at a Glance
- What Comes Next — A New Clinical Ecosystem
- Observations and Recommendations
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.