CIOs and CEOs should use these examples as analogies from adjacent and related industries to inspire broader creativity and spark digital business strategy conversations in their organizations.
Fifty Examples of Digital Business: A CIO and CEO Resource
- Key Findings
- B2B Product Industry Examples
- 1. 3M Markets a Bluetooth-Connected Digital Stethoscope
- 2. Airbus Uses Production 3D Printing Extensively in Its A350 XWB Aircraft
- 3. AstraZeneca and Adherium Collaborate on Smart Inhalers
- 4. AzkoNobel Dulux Provides Augmented Reality (AR) and Color Data Capture Smart Device Apps
- 5. Goldcorp — Connected Mine Provides Safer and Less Costly Operations
- 6. GE's Industrial Internet Generates New Productivity and Revenue Opportunities
- 7. SCA Creates Digital Washroom Products and Services
- 8. Novartis and Otsuka Pharmaceutical Collaborate With Proteus Digital Health on Sensor-Enabled Pharmaceuticals
- 9. Bigbelly Garbage and Recycling Bins Use Sensors to Know When to Empty Bins
- 10. Monsanto Acquires Its Way Into Agriculture Big Data Analytics
- B2B Service Industry Examples
- 11. FedEx SenseAware Tracks Location and Condition of a Package Through Its Journey
- 12. Generali Insurance Issues IoT Open Innovation Call and Makes a "Techquisition"
- 13. Munich Re Insurance Sponsors Internet of Things Startup Accelerator
- 14. Roche Moves Into Patient Monitoring
- 15. Simavita Is a New Public Company in a New Category of Digital Healthcare Systems
- 16. Starwood's SPG Keyless Lets Guests Access Their Room With a Smartphone
- 17. SteadyServ iKeg — Connected Beer Kegs to Ensure Beer Is Always Flowing at the Taps
- 18. Swiss Postal Service Experiments With Drone Package Delivery
- 19. UPS Stores Offer 3D Printing Services
- B2C Product Industry Examples
- 20. Adidas Markets a Smart Connected Soccer Ball
- 21. Audi Connect Easy Delivery — Delivering E-Commerce Package to a Car's Trunk
- 22. Babolat Play Connected Tennis Racquet Lets Players Analyze Their Game
- 23. Coca-Cola Freestyle Vending Machines Let Customers Mix Their Own Flavors
- 24. DeWalt Power Tool Batteries Gain Bluetooth Connection and Smartphone App
- 25. Diageo Tests a Sensor-Enabled Smart Bottle for Premium Liquor Products
- 26. Fashion Watch Company Fossil Moves Into Wearables
- 27. Hasbro Enables Toy Fans to Get Unique Artist-Tailored Versions of Its Toys
- 28. Hershey's Co-Develops Chocolate 3D Printing, to Customize Confectionary
- 29. Honda Offers 3D Printing of Concept Car Models
- 30. L'Oreal Makeup Genius App Uses Augmented Reality to Try on Makeup
- 31. Lego Created Physical Toys From a Virtual Block-Building Game
- 32. Nestle Has Created a Smartphone App-Connected Baby Formula Machine
- 33. Oakley Makes Connected Ski Goggles With Inbuilt Augmented Reality Display
- 34. P&G/Oral-B Connected Toothbrush Turns Brushing Into a Science
- 35. Paulig Is Developing a Connected Coffee Mug
- 36. Ralph Lauren Has Created a Shirt With Fitness Monitoring Capability
- 37. The Vuse "Digital" Cigarette Is a Fast-Growth Part of R.J. Reynolds' Strategy
- 38. Scarosso Creates a Tailored Shoe Service Using 3D Scanning Technology
- 39. Tory Burch Turns Fitbits Into Fashion Jewelry
- 40. Under Armour's Big Move Into Mobile Fitness Apps
- B2C Service Industry Examples
- 41. Allstate Drones Provide a Safe and Efficient Way to Inspect Damage
- 42. Amazon Dash Buttons Can Automatically (Re)order Products When Pressed
- 43. Aviva Drive App Helps Safer Drivers Win an Insurance Discount
- 44. Barclays Makes Payment a Digital Wearable Option for Customers
- 45. British Gas Provides a Smart Home Heating Controller Called Hive Active Heating
- 46. City of London Uses AR to Create a Virtual Asset Network of Convenience
- 47. City of Montreal Info-Neige: Real-Time Tracking of Snow Plows to Help Citizens
- 48. Disney's MagicBands: Wearable Creates Magical Experience
- 49. IKEA Augmented Reality Catalog App Helps Customers "Try Before They Buy"
- 50. John Hancock Insurance Offers Free Fitbits to Measure Lifestyle
- An Alternative Thematic Classification of the 50 Examples
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.