It is perilous to treat fintech companies early on as friends or foes. Fintech services are complementors, competitors or catalysts to financial services firms. Technology strategic planners who exploit the differences among them will seize growth in financial services in the future.
- Fintech Companies Act as Complementors, Competitors or Catalysts to the Financial Services Industry
- Complementors to Traditional Financial Services
- Competitors to Traditional Financial Services
- Catalysts to Traditional Financial Services
- Use the Characteristics of the Three Fintech Categories in Your Strategy
- Key Fintech Domains Have Varying Levels of Activity for the Three Categories
- Fintech Companies Can Expand and Shift Across These Types
- Factor the Fintech Categories in Your Strategy
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.