Docker democratized containers, giving application-focused virtualization to DevOps-minded developers. This assessment guides technical professionals responsible for architecture and infrastructure through the benefits and risks of adopting Docker.
- Introduction to Docker
- Docker in Detail
- Docker Client and Server (Daemon)
- Containers and Image Formats
- Building Containers With Dockerfiles
- Docker Registries
- Benefits of Docker
- Benefits of Operating System Containers
- Benefits Directly Attributable to Docker
- Docker Adoption
- Risks and Challenges of Adopting Docker
- Using Containers for Complex Applications
- "There's Just No Getting Around It, You're Building a Distributed System"
- Fragmentation in the Container Market
- Security and Risk Management Concerns
- The Illusion of Cloud Portability
- Ignore the Bleeding Edge of the Docker Ecosystem and Gain Container Experience Now
- Invest Now in Changing Development and Test Configurations to Use Docker for Custom-Built Software
- Use Docker in Production If You Have Sophisticated and Agile Operations
- Secure Your Container Environments and Build a Secure Workflow From the Start
- Plan on a Combination of Containers and Virtual Machines
- Participants in the Docker Ecosystem
- Contributors to the Core Technology and OS Distros
- Docker Commercial Support Partners
- Managed Cloud Services and Software to Orchestrate and Manage Docker-Based Containers
- Builders of Container "Fabric" Services
- Software Vendors Distributing Their Products as Official Docker Images
- Docker Sounds Like ...
- Docker vs. Virtual Machines
- Docker vs. Vagrant
- Docker vs. Application Virtualization
- Docker vs. Server Configuration Management
- Docker vs. OS Package Managers
- Docker vs. Application Dependency Management
- Docker vs. Platform as a Service
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.