The accelerating convergence of IaaS and PaaS into a service model combining the two will disrupt existing markets. Technology strategic planners must understand the opportunities and threats from delivering and consuming cloud services through these historically distinct offerings.
- The Market Is De-emphasizing IaaS and aPaaS in Favor of Converged IaaS+PaaS Offerings
- Market Structure Trend
- The Market Is Becoming Oligopolistic
- Buyer Trend
- Buyers Value the IaaS+PaaS Model and Are Becoming More Accepting of Lock-In
- Technology Trend
- Technology Evolution Is Shifting From Up the Stack to Across Domains
- If a Serious Cloud Provider Failure Occurs, These Trends Change
- Fewer Providers Could Lead to Price Increases, Driving Customers to Demand More Open Offerings
Vendors to Watch
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.