Hybrid IT and the on-demand digital business require technical professionals that focus on IAM to provide integrated and agile directory services for multiple users and device constituencies. We assess cloud directories and their opportunities and challenges in meeting these requirements.
- Hybrid IT and Its Effects on Directories
- The Insufficiencies of LDAP
- New Types of Identity Consumers
- New User and Device Constituencies and Their Relationships
- Deeper Integrations
- Why Cloud Directories and Why Now?
- The Different Flavors of Cloud Directories
- Traditional Directories and Hybrid IT
- Eight Opportunities and Challenges When Using Cloud Directories in Hybrid IT
- Identity Migration Scenarios
- Deep Integration With Cloud Applications
- Deep Integration With On-premises Applications and Equipment
- Consumer IAM Scenarios
- Internet of Things Scenarios
- High-Security and Privacy Scenarios
- Low-Latency-Requirement Scenarios
- Developer Experience
- Adopt Cloud Directories
- Verify Support for On-Premises Applications, Devices and Network Equipment
- Migrate Slowly
- Respect and Cater to Privacy
- Strive for SSO, Then Delegated Provisioning Agents and Finally Password Synchronization
- Concede That Directories Are a Lifelong Commitment for Your Entities
- Pamper Your Developers
- Size Up Cloud Directories' IoT Strategies
- Cloud Directory Vendors
- Flattened Hierarchies
- The Four Major Hybrid Models Used by Cloud Directories
- On-Premises Cloud-Bound Synchronization Agents
- On-Premises Single Sign-On and Synchronization Services
- Delegated Authentication and Provisioning Agents
- Identity Federation With Just-In-Time Provisioning
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.