SaaS-based intranet products fill an important gap in Office 365 and offer opportunities to reinvent an enterprise's homepages. This report describes how intranets have changed and outlines the steps technical professionals can use to scope, select, implement and sustain an intranet.
- Office 365's Influence on Intranets
- The Intranet's Primary Responsibility Is Distributing Information
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Establish Ownership and Define a Narrow Intranet Scope
- Scope the Intranet to Something Achievable and Manageable
- Drawing a Line Around the Intranet
- Select an Intranet Service
- Approach Intranet Product Selection Tactically
- Implement the Service
- Approach an Intranet Like an Enterprise Application
- Executing a SaaS-Based Intranet Project
- Sustain Your Intranet
- Staff and Empower Intranet Management Like You Mean It
- Formalize Your Governance
- Transition to Ongoing Technical, Content and Community Support
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.