Technical professionals responsible for cloud computing must prioritize risk mitigation as part of their cloud design plan. Hence, a comprehensive cloud-first strategy requires a carefully designed exit plan for IaaS, PaaS and SaaS before consuming public cloud services.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Form a Cloud Event Triage Team
- Assess Public Cloud Deployment Tier Exit Viability
- Determine Viable Sourcing Options
- Segment Applications and Providers
- Define a List of Unacceptable Conditions
- Maintain a List of Exit Plan Templates and Lessons
- Phase 1: Exit Strategizing
- Define and Document Unacceptable Application-Level Conditions
- Assess Technical, Business and Financial Dependencies
- Identify, Evaluate and Select Alternative Providers
- Prepare for Business Continuity
- Phase 2: Exit Planning
- Brainstorm Exit Plan Components
- Follow Best Practices
- Share the Exit Plan
- Phase 3: Exit Acceptability and Viability
- Determine Event Acceptability
- Determine Exit Viability
- Document Exit Decision
- Phase 4: Exit Execution
- Confirm Exit Plan
- Determine Exit Path and Communicate
- Commence the Exit
- Eradicate Cloud Remnants
- Sever Provider Relationships
- Create New Exit Plan and Document Lessons Learned
Risks and Pitfalls
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.