The new Secure Productive Enterprise suites provide extra user rights on Office and servers, which can create license compliance risks if not fully examined. Sourcing and vendor management leaders negotiating Microsoft cloud services may observe less discounting due to these added benefits.
Impacts and Recommendations
- Microsoft contract negotiators may use the included copy of (traditional) Office Professional Plus to alleviate Office 365 ProPlus challenges, but could risk compliance issues
- The SPE Office Professional Plus Copy Has No Software Assurance
- Add-On Licenses Do Not Qualify for the Additional Office Copy
- Qualified Enterprise Cloud Suite Customers Get the Additional Office Copy
- Mixed Profiles Beware: The SPE Entitlements Are for Qualified Users Only
- Rules Differ Between the EA and MPSA
- Dropping Software Assurance in exchange for the included SPE productivity server rights may lower costs for some Microsoft contract negotiators, but could in turn create compliance risks in mixed profiles, requiring costly remediation
- Merger, acquisition and divestiture unpredictability can be quite costly for Microsoft contract negotiators who are unprepared for the complexity of SPE entitlement rules
- Estimate the Value to Your Organizations of the Office and Server Entitlements
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.