Application leaders responsible for APIs and integration must support project teams, but treating APIs as products with an accompanying product life cycle increases the chances of digital business success. Creating the role of API product manager is key to managing this project/product dichotomy.
- Ensure a High-Quality and Consistent API Developer Experience
- Optimizing Developer Experience (DX)
- Manage the API Roadmap, Business Priorities and Investment Trade-Offs
- Prepare the Roadmap for API Monetization
- Articulate the Business Benefits of the API to Your Organization
- Use Business Metrics to Communicate API Benefits
Gartner Recommended Reading