Endpoints of the IoT will grow at a 33% CAGR from 2015 through 2020, reaching an installed base of 20.4 billion units, with almost two-thirds of them consumer applications. Spending on networked consumer and business endpoints will displace non-networked, growing at a 20% CAGR to $2.9 trillion.
- Companion Documents
- Overall Market Penetration
- Total Installed Base of 20 Billion Endpoint Units in 2020
- Machines Are a Key Part of the IoT
- Highest Growth in Adoption in Cross-Industry Category
- Familiar Products Drive Consumer Adoption
- IoT Endpoint Unit Shipments Approach 6.5 Billion in 2020
- Cross-Industry Shipment Growth Peaks in 2018
- Regional Variation in Shipments
- Total Hardware Spending Approaches $3 Trillion in 2020
- Consumer and Cross-Industry Spending Growth Driven by Automotive
- Regional Variation in Spending
- 220 Million Connected Cars on the Road in 2020
- Variation in Installed Base by End-Use Subcategory
- Information and Entertainment Leads Consumer Use in 2020
- Two-Thirds of Cross-Industry Deployments Driven by Physical Security, Energy and Facilities Automation/Other
- Modernization Will Drive Upgrades in Vertical-Specific Products
- Variation in Spending by End-Use Subcategory
- Top Applications by Category: The Internet of Very Different Things
- Top Consumer Endpoint Types
- Top Cross-Industry Endpoint Types
- Top Vertical-Specific Endpoint Types
- Manufacturers Face Pricing Pressure, Particularly in Consumer Products
- Market Penetration
- Cross-Industry Use of IoT
- Vertical-Specific Use of IoT
- Consumer Use of IoT
- Unchanged Assumptions
- Operational Technology
- Smart City
- Implications of the IoT Definition
- IoT Unit Forecasts
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.