Cloud-based big data services offer impressive capabilities like rapid provisioning, massive scalability and simplified management. This research helps technical professionals evaluate and choose between the leading cloud-based, managed Hadoop frameworks: Amazon EMR and Microsoft Azure HDInsight.
- Overview — Amazon Web Services and Amazon EMR
- Overview — Microsoft Azure HDInsight
- BDaaS Architecture
- Comparing Amazon EMR and Microsoft Azure HDInsight
- Amazon EMR Architecture
- Microsoft Azure HDInsight Architecture
- Distributions and Packaging
- Hadoop Distribution — EMR
- Hadoop Distribution — HDInsight
- Setup and Provisioning
- Amazon EMR Setup and Provisioning
- Microsoft Azure HDInsight Setup and Provisioning
- Management and Monitoring
- Amazon EMR Management and Monitoring
- Microsoft Azure HDInsight Management and Monitoring
- AWS — Storage Types for EMR Clusters
- Microsoft Azure — Storage Types for HDInsight Clusters
- Amazon EMR Security
- Azure HDInsight Security
- Amazon EMR Support
- Microsoft Azure HDInsight Support
- Migration and Integration Strategies
- Amazon EMR Migration and Integration
- Microsoft Azure HDInsight Migration and Integration
- Pricing and Billing
- Amazon EMR Pricing and Billing
- Microsoft Azure Pricing and Billing
- Overall Platform — Integration Options
- Take a Cloud-First Approach to Big Data
- Evaluate Existing Investments in AWS or Azure
- Choose Amazon EMR for AWS Platform Integration
- Choose Azure HDInsight for Microsoft or Microsoft Azure Integration
- Conduct a Proof of Concept
- Minimize Customization and Embrace Managed Services
- Create an End-to-End Data and Analytics Architecture
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.