Privileged account and session management tools manage, control, and monitor privileged accounts and are an essential component of a risk management strategy, but PASM deployments can be complex. Technical professionals managing IAM must take a risk-based approach to deployment.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Phase 1: Take a Risk-Based Approach
- Collect and Conduct Risk Assessments
- Create a Risk-Prioritized List
- Structure Deployment
- Phase 2: Identify Stakeholders
- Identify All Affected Stakeholders
- Identify New Owners and Operators of PASM Tool
- Phase 3: Define Policies, Rules and Workflows
- Define Rules for Approving, Granting and Revoking Access
- Define Rules for Credential Rotation
- Use Roles and Accesses Defined in IGA Systems
- Establish Authentication Rules
- Define Emergency Access Methods
- Phase 4: Deploy Controls
- Enroll Privileged Accounts
- Establish Minimum Standards
- Configure Auditing for All Privileged Access Attempts
- Phase 5: Operationalize
- Regularly Audit Privileged Accounts
- Look for Integration Opportunities
- Continue Prioritized Deployments
- Continue to Review and Revise Deployments
Risks and Pitfalls
- Failure to Properly Define and Understand the Scope of the PASM Deployment
- Failure to Define Owners for the PASM Tools
- Failure to Get All the Stakeholders Engaged and Onboard
- PASM Deployment Lags Infrastructure and Application Deployments
- Don't Follow the "Island" Mentality
- Lack of Understanding of Technical and Operational Requirements
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.