This guidance framework leads technical professionals through the strategy definition process for public-key infrastructure deployments, with the goal of ensuring that new PKI deployments are effective, successful and aligned to business risk assessments.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Step 1: Risk Assessment
- Step 2: Segmentation Model — Dedicated or Shared PKI
- Segmentation Model Considerations
- Step 3: Types of PKI
- Type 1: External-Facing PKI
- Type 2: Internal or Enterprise PKI
- Type 3: Specialized PKI
- Type 4: No PKI
- Step 4: Policy and Trust Models
- Trust Models
- Step 5: PKI Instances
- Step 6: Public/Private-Key-Based Functions
- Digital Signatures
- Step 7: Sourcing, Placement and Distribution Model
- Cloud PKI
- Managed PKI
- In-House PKI
- Joining a Relevant Trust Consortium or Community of Interest
- Step 8: PKI Operations and Security
- RA Operations
- CA Operations
- Step 9: Key and X.509 Certificate Management
- Strength of Algorithms and Keys
- Key Management
- X.509 Certificate Management
- Key Storage
- Long-Term Archival
- Step 10: Certificate Status Checking and Certificate Transparency
- Certificate Revocation Lists
- Online Status Check (OCSP and SCVP)
- No Status Checking
- Revocation of Root Certificates
- Certificate Transparency
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.