As technical professionals migrate on-premises systems to the public cloud, they need to know which databases to migrate, which tools and techniques to use, and how to run a successful migration project. This document provides guidance on migrating enterprise databases to IaaS and PaaS.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Business Strategy for Moving to the Cloud
- Application Migration Strategy
- Your Accomplishments in the Prework Stage
- Step 1: Plan the Database and Data Migration
- Identify the Success Criteria for Your Database and Data Migration
- Define the Scope of Work for the Database and Data Migration
- Choose the Tools and Techniques for Database and Data Migration
- Step 2: Choose the Method of Bulk Loading On-Premises Data Into the Cloud
- Transferring Bulk Data Using an Internet Connection
- Transferring Bulk Data Using a Direct Network Connection
- Transferring Bulk Data Using Physical Storage Devices
- Loading Data From Cloud Storage Into Your Cloud Database
- Your Accomplishments in Step 2
- Step 3: Choose the Tools for Migrating the Database Structure and Code
- Homogeneous Migration of Database Structure and Code
- Heterogeneous Migration of Database Structure and Code
- Agile/DevOps and Database Source Code Control
- Your Accomplishments in Step 3
- Step 4: Choose the Tools for Database Synchronization
- Your Accomplishments in Step 4
- Step 5: Create the Test Plans for the Cloud Databases and Applications
- Step 6: Get the Right Help for Your Cloud Database Migration
- Your Accomplishments After Step 6
- Step 7: Perform the Migration
- Provision the Resources in the Cloud
- Perform the Bulk Data Extraction From the On-Premises Database
- Bulk Load the Data From the On-Premises Database to the Cloud Database
- Begin Synchronization of the Cloud Database With the On-Premises Database
- Perform the Cutover From the On-Premises Database to the Cloud Database
- Step 8: Operate and Optimize
Risks and Pitfalls
- Problems Might Arise in the Bulk Data Transfer
- Data Synchronization Problems Might Make a Parallel Run Unfeasible
- The Migration Project Could Easily Become Late and Overbudget
- The Migration Plan and Objectives Might Be Misaligned
- The Goals of the Cloud Migration Might Be Technically Unfeasible
- Public Cloud Providers Might Not Meet Your Requirements
- The Requisite Skills Are Not Available Internally or From Partners
- Your Database Might Not Perform Adequately in the Cloud
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.