This research provides technical professionals with architectural guidance and best practices for deploying traditional on-premises workloads into Amazon Web Services, with the goal of maximizing overall availability.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Prework: Understanding Amazon Web Services
- Historic Availability of Amazon EC2 and S3
- Understanding AWS Primitives and Technical/Contractual Performance Characteristics
- Understanding Delineation of Responsibilities Within Amazon Web Services
- Framework Component 1: Assessing an Application's Architecture
- Framework Component 2: Design High Availability for Persistence Tier Systems
- 2.1 Implementing Persistence Tier High Availability With RDBMS Software Installed in Virtual Machine Instances
- 2.2 Implementing Persistence Tier High Availability With Amazon RDS
- Framework Component 3: Design High Availability for Business Logic Tier Systems
- 3.1 Implementing High Availability for Stateful Application Servers
- 3.2 Implementing High Availability for Stateless Application Servers
- Framework Component 4: Design High Availability for Presentation Tier Systems
- 4.1 Implementing High Availability for Stateless Presentation Tier Servers
- 4.2 Implementing High Availability for Stateful Presentation Tier Servers
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.