Sourcing and vendor management leaders should leverage these five essentials to plan and negotiate a VMware enterprise license agreement. As a result, they can achieve deeper discounts, with terms and conditions aligned to desired outcomes.
- Engage Essential Parties
- Engage directly with VMware and a reseller partner that is at least at the Enterprise level with VMware to increase discounts
- Consider a VMware ELA optimization review
- Buyer beware: Choose your reseller carefully — your choice is a critical negotiating success factor
- Align Needs With Options
- Meet demand and financial objectives by selecting the appropriate ELA type
- Calculate token and credit conversions to provide full cost transparency
- Collect and Analyze Cost Details
- Discover true discounts by using customized RFQ templates and option-modeling tools to gather and analyze VMware ELA proposals
- Negotiate Terms
- Get perpetual license rights granted for all the licenses paid for under an ELA, and avoid audit surprises by negotiating critically important terms
- Negotiate terms in a VMware ELA, using our recommendations
- Strategically Time Execution
- Get the best attention and leverage by negotiating your deal when it is most significant to VMware
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.