To maintain credibility as excellent cost optimizers, oil and gas CIOs must shift their methods for managing IT costs from reactive budget cuts to the proactive design of lean operations. This research provides guidance on successfully launching this journey.
- Simplify: Reversing Decades of Decentralized IT Procurement
- Reduce the Number and Complexity of IT Applications, Services and Devices
- Rethink IT Culture and Jobs
- Clarify: Consolidating Globally Federated Computer Operations
- Invest in Dynamic Financial Transparency
- Integrate Digital Priorities
- Advance: Resolving Legacy Debt (Aging IT Technology)
- Adapt Cost Optimization Priorities to Match Market Conditions
- Create Urgency for a Renovated Digital Core
- Automate: Reducing IT's Resource Intensiveness
- Create an Automation-First Culture
- Leverage Adaptive Sourcing
- Innovate: Reinventing Outdated IT Services
- Design a Simpler Digital Workplace
- Design a Lean Operating Model for IT
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.