Web applications, mobile applications and web APIs are subject to increasing volumes and complexity of attacks. Technical professionals responsible for application security architecture must use an appropriate mix of WAF, RASP, bot mitigation and other technologies to secure applications.
- Selecting the Appropriate Protection Levels
- Selecting the Scope of Protection
- Selecting Protection Against Denial of Service
- Selecting Protection Against Exploits
- Selecting Protection Against Abuse
- Selecting Protection Against Access Violations
- Selecting the Right Technology Solutions
- Designing for Architectural Coverage and Flexibility
- Choosing On-Premises Versus Cloud-Based Solutions
- Balancing Integrated Capabilities and Dedicated Solutions
- Determine the Required Levels of Protection
- Prioritize the Use of Cloud-Based Security Services
- Start With Integrated Platform Capabilities for Broad Coverage
- Add Dedicated Solutions for Specific or Additional Protection
- A Brief Primer on Web APIs and How to Discover Them
- Categorizing Attacks Against Web Applications and Web APIs
- Denial of Service
- Access Violations
- Defining Automated Threats
- Multifactor and Out-of-Band Authentication
- Application Security Capabilities to Address the Attack Categories
- API Gateways
- Application Shielding and Hardening
- Bot Mitigation
- Cloud Access Security Brokers
- Runtime Application Self-Protection
- Web Application Firewalls
- Reusing Open Source to "Build Your Own"
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.