Technical professionals focused on data center consolidation and migration implementations must understand the key drivers and issues impacting workload placement. This paper focuses on the first critical steps in planning consolidation and migration projects that implement hybrid IT architectures.
- Key Drivers for Data Center Consolidation
- The Industry Is Shifting From Capex to Opex
- Hybrid Architectures Are Replacing Tradition On-Premises Data Centers
- Eliminating Silos
- Centralized Control and Management
- Power and Cooling Efficiency
- Reducing Application and Services Cost
- Simplified Disaster Recovery and Business Continuance
- Changing Business Conditions
- Changes to a Data Center Risk Profile
- Key Planning Challenges That Must Be Overcome
- Keeping Pace With Digital Business
- Addressing Employee Concerns
- Creating a Communications Portal
- Creating a Long-Term Business Case That Incorporates the Cost of Potential Downtime
- Budgeting for Partial Full-Time Equivalents
- Retaining High-Caliber Staffing to Complete the Project
- Mandating Long-Term Financial Commitments
- Initial Planning Steps
- Identify Board-Level Executive Sponsor
- Create a Project Steering Committee
- Understand the Project Life Cycle
- Establish Optimization Targets
- Determine the Need for Outside Help
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.