An abundance of data is available to marketers, but data alone does not deliver results. It's metrics that effectively measure performance. Marketing leaders should use this research to define the marketing metrics that connect marketing strategy with measurable marketing performance.
- Build a Hierarchy of Metrics Taxonomy by Defining the Scope of Decisions Supported
- Align Metrics to Audience
- Choose Metric Granularity Based on the Needs of the Audience
- Define the Marketing Metrics That Matter to Your Organization
- How the Hierarchy of Metrics Works in the Marketing Organization — An Example
- Setting the Business Goals
- Defining the Strategic Levers and Macro Diagnostics
- Setting the Operational Levers and Diagnostics
- Embedding Tactical Levers and Optimization
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.