Technical professionals assessing hyperconverged solutions often compare Nutanix NX, Dell EMC VxRail and HPE SimpliVity appliances. This first of two documents highlights the fundamental differences between these three HCIS vendors with respect to architecture and storage I/O.
- Hypervisor Support
- Software-Based Storage Controller
- Physical Hardware (Form Factor)
- Data Protection
- Data Reduction
- Disk Data Locality
- Mixed Workloads
- HPE SimpliVity
- Performance — Disk Data Locality, Data I/O and Cache Behavior
- HPE SimpliVity
- General Guidance
- Evaluate System Behavior and End-User Experience by Executing an Intensive Proof of Concept (POC)
- Use Your Own Set of Applications During the POC
- Use Application-Specific Test and Benchmark Tools
- Execute Multiple Workloads With Different Read/Write Ratios on All HCIS Nodes
- Range From Running Single VMs to Large Groups of VMs on All the Nodes at the Same Time
- Run Tests Continuously for a Longer Time
- Test the Performance With Native Mirroring, Erasure Coding, Deduplication and Compression
- Test the Performance Impact While Executing System Failures and/or Upgrades
- Test the Performance Impact With Several Different Disk Read/Write Ratios and Rates
- Use Low-Latency Switches — Especially With All-Flash Configurations — to Minimize Network Latency
- Guidance for Clients Choosing Nutanix
- Guidance for Clients Choosing HPE SimpliVity
- Guidance for Clients Choosing VxRail
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.