Externalized runtime authorization is becoming more common for mitigating digital risk and meeting compliance obligations. This report provides a maturity model for technical professionals to enhance underlying architecture by modernizing policy management and establishing enforcement patterns.
- Externalized Runtime Authorization
- Flow of Operation
- Recent Advancements
- Emerging Standard Specifications
- Maturity Model
- Maturity Model Criteria
- Runtime Authorization Deployment Model
- Selecting Authorization Patterns and Policy Management Approach
- Front-End Tier Authorization Pattern
- Middle-Tier Authorization Pattern
- Back-End Tier Authorization
- Policy Management Approach for Each Pattern
- Architectural Considerations for Authorization Patterns
- Portal Access
- API Access
- Application Access
- Data Access
- Federated Access
- Example of Runtime Authorization Vendors
- API Gateway
- Emerging Policy Management Vendors
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.