The cloud engineer is an evolutionary role for traditional technical professionals focused on cloud computing. Technical professionals must understand the responsibilities and requirements of the role, and must develop the necessary skill sets for successful Mode 1 and Mode 2 cloud deployments.
- What Is a Cloud Engineer?
- What Are the Necessary Skill Sets for a Cloud Engineer?
- How Does a Cloud Engineer Differ From a Cloud Architect?
- How Does a Cloud Engineer Differ From a Traditional Infrastructure Engineer?
- How Much Will Current IT Roles Be Impacted?
- Network Engineers
- Storage Engineers
- System Engineers
- Backup Administrators
- Security Engineers
- Database Administrators
- Are Cloud Engineers a Separate Team Within IT?
- What About DevOps? How Will It Impact IT Professionals?
- Will My Department Be Restructured as a Result of DevOps?
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.