Enterprise architecture and technology innovation leaders must walk a fine line between embracing and overplaying AI technologies' role in delivering business value for digital business. Success is almost impossible without promotion, but Hype is dangerous because it sets the wrong expectations.
- Framing Assumptions
- Hype Matters; Within Limits, It Fosters Innovation, but It Hurts as Well
- Myth 1: Buy an AI to Solve Your Problems
- Myth 2: Everyone Needs an AI Strategy or a Chief AI Officer
- Myth 3: Artificial Intelligence Is Real
- Myth 4: AI Technologies Define Their Own Goals
- Myth 5: AI Has Human Characteristics
- Myth 6: AI Understands (or Performs Cognitive Functions)
- Myth 7: AI Can Think and Reason
- Myth 8: AI Learns on Its Own
- Myth 9: It's Easy to Train Applications That Combine DNNs and NLP
- Myth 10: AI-Based Computer Vision Sees Like we Do (Or Better)
- Myth 11: AI Will Transform Your Industry — Jump Now and Lead
- Myth 12: For the Best Results, Standardize on One AI-Rich Platform Now
- Myth 13: Maximize Investment in Leading-Edge AI Technologies
- Myth 14: AI Is an Existential Threat (or It Saves All of Humanity)
- Myth 15: There Will Never Be Another AI Winter
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.