This Hype Cycle evaluates storage-related hardware and software technologies in terms of their business impact, adoption rate and maturity level to help users decide where and when to invest.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Shared Accelerated Storage
- Management Software-Defined Storage
- Cloud Data Backup
- At the Peak
- Data Backup Tools for Mobile Devices
- File Analysis
- Open-Source Storage
- Copy Data Management
- Infrastructure SDS
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Integrated Systems: Hyperconvergence
- Data Sanitization
- Integrated Backup Appliances
- Storage Cluster File Systems
- Cross-Platform Structured Data Archiving
- Information Dispersal Algorithms
- Object Storage
- Solid-State DIMMs
- Emerging Data Storage Protection Schemes
- Hybrid DIMMs
- Enterprise Endpoint Backup
- Cloud Storage Gateways
- Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS)
- Climbing the Slope
- Public Cloud Storage
- Virtual Machine Backup and Recovery
- SaaS Archiving of Messaging Data
- Online Data Compression
- Storage Multitenancy
- Enterprise Information Archiving
- Automated Storage Tiering
- Network-Based Replication Appliances
- Continuous Data Protection
- Entering the Plateau
- Data Deduplication
- External Storage Virtualization
- Solid-State Arrays
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.