Infrastructure and operations leaders are being forced to make rapid technology and business decisions to keep pace with the changes demanded by the evolution to digital platforms. They need to think critically to create infrastructure investment results that are appropriate and easily communicated.
- Think Very Critically
- Define the Problem, Which Will Determine the Solution That Yields the Right Actions
- Question, Question, Question — Until You're Satisfied by Your Answers
- Separate Facts From Assertions and Assumptions, and Filter Down to the Big Rocks
- Example: How to Customize Results From Gartner Tools to Fit Your Situation
- Quantify — Even the Unquantified
- Example: Magic Quadrant
- Strongly Prefer Working Top-Down Versus Bottom-Up
- Example: A "Stalking Horse"
- Work "Outside-In": Technology Last, Not First
- Example: Urbanization
- Integrate and Systematize Solutions; Stress Interrelationships
- Example: The Enterprise-Driven Data Center
- Take the Long View — Quickly
- Example: The One-Day Strategic Planning Process
- Reach Out: Collaborate and Communicate on an Ongoing Basis
- There's Rarely a Need to Make Decisions in Isolation
- Apply Collaboration Techniques in Your Enterprise
- Think, Talk and Write Clearly and Simply
- Example: Writing Clearly
- Take the Time to Develop a Striking Presentation
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.