Gartner Research

High-Potential (HIPO) Staff Identification Guide

Published: 30 June 2014

ID: G00339396

Analyst(s): Information Risk Research Team

Summary

Most managers believe all high-performing employees are high-potential. In fact, high-potential staff must be high-performers, but must also have three core attributes: the ability, engagement, and aspiration to rise to and succeed in more senior positions. Because employees need all three, only 29% of employees in the top quartile of performance are high-potential employees; the remaining 71% fall short in at least one way. Given the scarcity of HIPOs, the gap in leadership potential, and the greater likelihood HIPOs will leave the organization due to their attractiveness in the open market, managers must carefully identify and develop those with potential. This guide provides CISOs and other managers in Information Security the information and tools to evaluate high-performing employees for potential.

©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates. This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission. It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact. While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information. Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such. Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy. Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity. Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party. For further information, see Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.

Already have a Gartner Account?

Become a client

Learn how to access this content as a Gartner client.