This Hype Cycle contains utility technologies critical for delivering reliable, affordable and ubiquitous commodity services. It provides electric, gas and water utility CIOs with the insights needed when considering technologies for commodity, asset, revenue and customer life cycle processes.
- What You Need to Know
- The Hype Cycle
- The Priority Matrix
- Off the Hype Cycle
- On the Rise
- Blockchain in Utilities
- Energy-Sharing Platform
- Augmented Reality/Virtual Reality (AR/VR) in Utilities
- Distributed Energy Resource Management System
- At the Peak
- Digital Business Platform
- Energy Efficiency Gamification
- Geospatial Platform
- API Economy
- Bimodal IT
- Drones (Commercial UAVs) in Utilities
- Virtual Assistants in Utilities
- Mobile Customer Interaction Channel
- Internet of Things in Utilities
- Sliding Into the Trough
- Big Data
- Meter Data Analytics
- Consumption Analytics
- Emissions Position Management
- Social CRM
- Advanced Distribution Management Systems
- Industrial Operational Intelligence
- Cloud in Utilities
- Demand-Response Management Systems
- Transmission Outage Management
- Asset Performance Management
- Climbing the Slope
- Asset Investment Planning
- CIM Integration Standards
- Wholesale Market Operations
- Business Process Outsourcing
- Meter Data Management
- Load Forecasting
- Distribution Design Tools
- Outage Management Systems
- Entering the Plateau
- Transmission and Distribution Network Engineering Analysis Tools
- Hype Cycle Phases, Benefit Ratings and Maturity Levels
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.