Gartner Research

Overutilization of Your Team Is Reducing Productivity and Delaying Business Value

Published: 16 August 2017

ID: G00333105

Analyst(s): Mike Gilpin , David Norton

Summary

Application leaders often mistakenly believe that high team utilization delivers more work. Yet teams with lower utilization can reduce the time it takes to deliver business value by 30% or more. Application leaders should encourage teams to plan to work at 75% capacity to maximize throughput.

Table Of Contents
  • Key Challenges

Introduction

  • Overutilization of Your Agile Product Team Is Delaying Business Value

Analysis

  • Aim for Team Utilization on High-Value Tasks of Around 75%, and Reserve the Other 25% for Low Value Tasks and Housekeeping
  • Justify a More-Sustainable Pace by Focusing on Business Outcomes
  • Reduce Variability in the Process to Improve Throughput and Reduce Lead Times

Gartner Recommended Reading

©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates. This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission. It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact. While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information. Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such. Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy. Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity. Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party. For further information, see Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.

Already have a Gartner Account?

Purchase this Document

To purchase this document, you will need to register or sign in above

Become a client

Learn how to access this content as a Gartner client.