Software asset management tools have become popular; however, their diverse data requirements make the selection process challenging. By ensuring their SAM tool delivers four primary capabilities, infrastructure and operations leaders will choose the right SAM tool to support their enterprise goals.
- Base SAM Tool Requirements on Four Capabilities
- Capability No. 1: Decoding Software License Entitlements
- Capability No. 2: Automating Software Consumption Data Collection
- Capability No. 3: Establishing ISV Effective License Position
- Capability No. 4: Optimizing Software Value Delivery and Information Sharing
- Address Both Compliance and Cost Optimization
- Validate That the SAM Tool Will Deliver Expected Benefits
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.