APIs are fundamental to modern application architecture, enabling multichannel user experiences, simplified integration and digital business models. Technical professionals delivering APIs must select API management capabilities to successfully control, promote, operate, measure and improve them.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Part 1: Evaluate Deployment and Operational Capabilities
- Flexible Deployment Topology
- Platform Automation
- Operational Support
- Developer Portal Deployment
- Platform Upgrades
- Platform Configuration
- Part 2: Evaluate Capabilities That Enable Developers
- Discovery Metadata
- Developer Self-Support
- Developer Access Provisioning
- Collaboration and Community
- Developer Enablement Administration
- API Scenario Optimization
- Part 3: Evaluate Features for Managing the API Life Cycle
- Version Management
- Change Notification
- Issue Management
- Part 4: Evaluate Features for Secure, Reliable and Flexible Communications
- Authentication and Authorization
- Threat Detection
- Data Privacy
- Traffic Management
- Quality of Service Management
- Interface Translation
- Service Routing
- Service Orchestration
- Policy Management and Tracking
- Part 5: Evaluate Features to Measure and Improve Business Value
- Activity Logging
- User Auditing
- Business Value Reporting
- Contract Management
- Advanced Analytics
- Service-Level Monitoring
Risks and Pitfalls
- Overbuying Your API Management Solution
- Treating API Management as an Integration Platform
- Failing to Account for Security and Identity Integration Complexities
- Buying a Solution That You Can't Expand to Adapt to Future Needs
- Failing to Prioritize a Great API "Customer Experience"
- Related Guidance
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.