Application leaders are increasingly adopting a Pace-Layered Application Strategy to help them better manage and govern the evolution of their application portfolios. This research identifies some key best practices to help ensure success.
- Identify a Strategic Initiative, Like Digital Transformation, as the Lever to Drive Change With Pace Layers
- Invest Time Early On to Map Business Capabilities to the Pace Layers and Establish How the Application Architecture Must Evolve
- Set Investment Targets by Pace Layer to Create a Destination and as a Way of Measuring Progress With Key Stakeholders
- Case Study: Manufacturer Undergoes Digital Transformation
- Spending Targets Should Not Mean Neglecting SORs
- Target Duplicate Applications for Consolidation or Process Standardization to Create Quick Wins
- Identify Applications That Can Help Create a Bridge to Digital Technology Platforms and More Product-Centric Delivery Models
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.