CIOs embarking on an ERP initiative must resist pressure from the business to search for a technical solution to a complex problem. This research provides CIOs with practical advice on what to focus on before starting an ERP software evaluation.
- Evaluate the Organization and Learn the Business — Its Market, Competitors, Strategy and SWOT
- Communicate and Help Others Understand Postmodern ERP Concepts
- Assess the Organization's Culture, History, Current Application Portfolio and Any Past ERP Projects — Good or Bad
- Evaluate the Organization's Readiness for This Initiative and Create a Compelling Vision for the Organization
- Identify Current IT and Business Governance
- Assess Your Own Leadership: Are You Enthusiastic, Genuine, a Change Leader? Do You Have a Beginner's Mind?
- Devise or Update Your Postmodern ERP Strategy
- Monitor the Postmodern ERP Strategy Over Time
- Ensure Adequate Systems Support
- Define the Scope and High-Level Requirements of the ERP Initiative
- Set Up Governance Including Steering Committee, Design Authority and Tech Authority
- Establish a Team of Advocates Led by a CMO to Communicate and Drive Engagement
- Create Foundational Value Documents for the ERP Initiative
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.