Retail technology buyers are hyperfocused on delivering a modern consumer experience. Technology product marketing leaders should position their offerings by demonstrating how they will enable retailers to deliver a unified commerce experience for their customers.
- Key Elements of Effective Positioning
- Use Retail Industry Dynamics to Profile Your Ideal Target Markets
- Segment the Market Beyond Traditional Firmographics
- Who Your Offering Is For
- Define the Retailer's Business Needs in Terms of the Consumer Experience
- How Your Offering Impacts the Consumer Experience
- Improve Positioning to Differentiate Your Retail Offering in an Increasingly Crowded Competitive Landscape
- Competing Against the "Do Nothing" Option
- Competing Against Alternative Technologies
- Competing Against Other IT Projects in the Queue
- Your Offering
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.