For an existing application to gain the agility, scalability, resilience and cost benefits of cloud-native computing, you must rearchitect it. Technical professionals must adopt cloud-native architectures to get the transformational benefits of cloud computing.
The Gartner Approach
The Guidance Framework
- Understanding the Impact of Stakeholder Goals on Architecture Choices
- Understanding the Changeability of an Application
- Prepare Application Scorecard
- Domain 1: Assess the Application Architecture
- Use of Unsupported Languages and Runtimes
- Direct Code-to-Runtime Relationship
- Improper State Management
- Monolithic Design and Deployment
- Single Points of Failure
- Domain 2: Assess the Application Code
- Hardcoded Values
- Memory Locks
- Blocking Calls
- Siloed Logging
- Nonrestartable Application Components
- Domain 3: Assess the Integration Points
- Chatty Interactions
- Network Calls
- Complex Call Graph
- Use of Third-Party Libraries and APIs
- Domain 4: Assess Data Persistence
- Use of Multiphase Commits
- Monolithic Database
- Use of Select * and Wildcards in SQL Statements
- Developer-Crafted SQL Statements
- Domain 5: Assess the Application Life Cycle Management Process
- Manual Configuration Updates
- Manual Builds and Deployments
- Inability to Be Containerized
- Inability to Roll Back Releases
- Lack of Failure Injection Testing
- Determine Strategies for Cloud Migration
Risks and Pitfalls
- Risk: Not Investing in Cloud-Native Operations
- Risk: Introducing Additional Complexity Through Distribution
- Pitfall: Positioning Cloud-Native Modernization as a "Project"
- Pitfall: Applying This Guidance to Every Application
- Related Guidance
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2021 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.