Uncertainty is a daily challenge for CIOs and those they lead. Many of the traditional change management techniques do not work as well as CIOs might prefer. This research recommends alternate approaches CIOs can use to help their enterprises through uncertainty.
- Extinguish the Burning Platform and Be the Firefighter, Not the Arsonist
- Categories of Uncertainty Based on the Study of Games
- Recognize Three Basic Human Needs That Intersect to Create High Performance
- Counteract the Sources of Uncertainty With the Sources of High Performance
- Create an Environment That Helps the Enterprise Adapt to Uncertainty
- Create Comfort
- Create Confidence
- Create Control
- Leading Through Uncertainty
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.