Most organizations planning data encryption deployments lack both proper data security governance and an encryption key management strategy, which increases the risk of data loss. Security and risk management leaders must develop an enterprisewide encryption key management strategy or lose the data.
- Employ Data Security Governance Principles
- Develop Data Security Governance Principles
- Leverage Access Controls to Minimize the Need for Encryption
- Reduce the Amount of Sensitive Data
- Consolidate Data to Fewer Platforms and Applications
- Operationalize EKM Deployments
- Are the Bits and Bytes Really That Important?
- What Makes a Cryptographic System Safe?
- Leverage Embedded Encryption
- Minimize the Use of Third-Party Vendors
- Day-to-Day EKM Operations
- Fewer Vendor Systems Will Simplify the Management
- Develop a Management Process
- Backup, Restoration, Recovery, Upgrade and Retirement of Keys
- Long-Term Resiliency of Encryption Solutions
Gartner Recommended Reading