Marketing leaders operating in the EU are accountable for assuring their data practices comply with regulations that impact personalization and privacy, which are not always clear cut. Use this research to prioritize risk mitigation actions and develop best practices for EU and global operations.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the GDPR Apply to Us?
- Who in the Organization Is Responsible for Compliance?
- What Is a Controller and What Is a Processor?
- What Is "Personal Data?"
- What Is "Processing" of Personal Data?
- What Personal Data Can I Process?
- What Constitutes Consent?
- Does All Personal Data Processing Require Consent?
- How Should We Prepare for Customers to Exercise Their Rights?
- What Is a Data Protection Officer and Should I Get Involved in Appointing One?
- What About Sharing Data With External Parties?
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.