Print solution vendors that handle the personal data of EU residents must adapt their privacy management capabilities to the General Data Protection Regulation. Technology strategic planners must not only establish compliance, but also leverage solution value to gain near-term competitive advantage.
- Global Regulatory Climate Is Intensifying
- Enterprise Security Risk Awareness Is Increasing
- Print Vendor Solutions Are Now Pivotal to Enterprise Data Workflows
Impacts and Recommendations
- The GDPR is already a major driving factor in regulatory compliance for EU member states and non-EU vendors offering goods or services to EU residents
- Under GDPR, the scope of regulated personal information expands, requiring vendors to assess and potentially redevelop the security feature sets in currently available solutions
- Step One: Confirm Your GDPR Role
- Step Two: Appoint a DPO
- Step Three: Establish an Accountability Framework
- Step Four: Review Cross-Border Data Transfers
- Step Five: Prepare for Data Subjects to Exercise Their Rights
- The financial risk of noncompliance has elevated customer concerns to senior-level management and may result in avoidance of noncompliant print solutions
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.