Purchased services remain a large and often untapped opportunity for savings for IDNs. New approaches to this complex area of spend make it more manageable. Supply chain leaders can use this research to expand their span of control of purchased services and capitalize on these opportunities.
- Step 1: Plan — Get Buy-In to Expand Supply Chain's Span of Control and Assemble a Team
- Staff the Purchased Service Initiative With a Team Skilled in Negotiating and Managing Process, Change Management and Analytical Abilities
- Step 2: Categorize Spend — Prioritize Initial Focus Areas on Large Opportunities and the Challenges of Purchased Service Spend
- Step 3: Listen to End Users — Get Feedback to Set Specifications and Identify Savings
- Step 4: Source — Select Suppliers Who Can Meet the Service and Financial Requirements
- Step 5: Report Ongoing — Maintain the Program With Metrics and Expand to Other Areas
Gartner Recommended Reading
©2020 Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved.
Gartner is a registered trademark of Gartner, Inc. and its affiliates.
This publication may not be reproduced or distributed in any form without Gartner’s prior written permission.
It consists of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization, which should not be construed as statements of fact.
While the information contained in this publication has been obtained from sources believed to be reliable, Gartner disclaims all warranties as to the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of such information.
Although Gartner research may address legal and financial issues, Gartner does not provide legal or investment advice and its research should not be construed or used as such.
Your access and use of this publication are governed by Gartner’s Usage Policy.
Gartner prides itself on its reputation for independence and objectivity.
Its research is produced independently by its research organization without input or influence from any third party.
For further information, see
Guiding Principles on Independence and Objectivity.